SFN220: Writing, Relationships, & The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck
Entrepreneurs and high achievers often struggle with the simple parts of living a good life, like relationships.
Today’s guest, Mark Manson, is the New York Times bestselling author of The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life, a blogger, and an internet entrepreneur – plus he’s hilarious, insightful, and wise.
We explore how he grows his business as an independent writer, why romance is an overrated aspect of relationships, and his plans for the future.
In This Interview I Ask:
- 1:50 - Why did Mark decide to double down on writing? What led him to that and what was he doing before that?
- 9:30 - When Mark’s blog started blowing up, how was he making money on it?
- 19:50 - What led Mark to this point?
- 28:55 - What does Mark’s writing schedule look like? What’s a typical day in the life of Mark Manson?
- 29:55 - Can we talk about your next book at all? Why do so many people struggle at relationships?
- 40:50 - What is it like writing another book after having such a massive win?
Writing in the Digital Age
“Writing is a head game with yourself. It never gets easy and you’re constantly second guessing yourself.”
As an independent writer, Mark has to adapt his business model to his audience.
At one point, he was trying to sell a course… but the audience that The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck attracted didn’t seem very interested in his course. They are, however, interested in his writing.
As a result, Mark introduced a small $4 monthly subscription that includes exclusive writing content, audio commentary, and unlimited access to his online courses (which range from anxiety to blogging).
Exploring Relationships & Mark’s Next Book
“Romance in a relationship is like a highlight reel.”
Mark’s upcoming book is about relationships, which harkens back to his history writing a dating advice blog.
One of the big things he wants to explore is how romance, and feelings in general, are overrated. The romance in a relationship is like a highlight reel, but what actually makes a relationship live or die is the mundane.
- Connect with Mark: Website | Facebook | Twitter
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson