SFN216: Don’t Go Alone: Content Marketing, Imposter Syndrome, & Community, with Sonia Simone, CCO of Rainmaker Digital
Are you overwhelmed by the world of content marketing?
There’s so many voices that it can sometimes be hard to know where yours fits into it all, but there is a niche for everyone.
Sonia Simone is a Founding Partner and the Chief Content Officer at Copyblogger Media (now Rainmaker Digital). She’s been online since 1989, and she has some incredible insight into the evolving world of content marketing.
In This Interview I Ask:
- 2:10 - What does Sonia think is happening in the content marketing world right now?
- 4:30 - With the barrier to entry going down and competition going up, what are the core principles that people need to focus on if they’re going to get started in content marketing today?
- 7:00 - What keeps people from being more personal and infusing their marketing with personality?
- 8:20 - Why do the most knowledgeable people suffer from Imposter Syndrome?
- 11:30 - What gets people over the Imposter Syndrome?
- 14:50 - What is coming next in the online space? Where are the trends headed?
The Core Principles of Modern Content Marketing
It’s always been true, but it’s more true now than ever: you probably aren’t going to hack your way to the top of the content market space by optimizing keywords or churning out outsourced bulk content.
Good content marketing is mostly about you:
- Who are you? What do you have to offer as a person, both in terms of expertise and personality?
- Be authentic and real. You don’t have to be a rockstar for people to like you.
- Try to help people solve their problems.
Fear, Imposters, & You
Fear stops a lot of people from being authentic and personal in their marketing. Sometimes we don’t believe anyone cares about what we have to think or who we are.
Often times, it’s the most knowledgeable who suffer the most from imposter syndrome. They learned and succeeded with the support of other people, so they don’t feel they have anything to share… but every person has something new to contribute.
There might be a big fish in the pond, but that doesn’t mean there’s no room for you.
Solving Imposter Syndrome
Community is hugely helpful for getting over Imposter Syndrome.
Online entrepreneurs are still “weird” – we’re still weird – so it’s not fair to expect everyone in your life to understand your new ideas. Instead, find a like-minded community!
Find other small fish in the pond who are like you, and support each other. “That will get you farther than anything else that I know.”
- Learn more about Sonia: Copy Blogger | LinkedIn | Twitter
- Check out Sonia’s 20-part tutorial for online marketers: Internet Marketing for Smart People
- Listen to Sonia’s podcasts: