SFN215: Why Entrepreneurs Need to Invest in Soft Skills, with Jordan Harbinger
Today’s guest, Jordan Harbinger, is an entrepreneur, talk show host, and world-renowned social dynamics expert. He is committed to helping others thrive in every area of their life through the study of simple (but subtle) social dynamics.
As co-founder of The Art of Charm, Jordan helped develop one of the leading self-development programs in the world, with a special expertise in social capital, relationship-building, and authentic rapport.
As host of The Art of Charm podcast, he teaches people how to be a super-connector, become more charismatic, and revamp their relationships almost every single day.
In This Interview I Ask:
- 3:20 - Where does Jordan find entrepreneurs going wrong when it comes to understanding the subtle world of social dynamics?
- 8:30 - People who don’t develop their social skills do poorly in business environments.
- 14:10 - Understanding psychology and persuasion is the new version of hunting.
- 18:10 - Does Jordan ever feel jaded from learning these skills so deeply and intensely?
- 20:35 - When did The Art of Charm make the transition away from dating and towards personal development?
- 28:00 - Did Jordan have fear about making money with the transition?
- 35:55 - Jordan puts out an interview almost every day. Is most of his time spent doing interviews and interviewing people?
- 39:00 - Has Jordan always been so committed and connected to what he works on?
The Subtle World of Social Dynamics
At The Art of Charm is one of the leading self-development programs in the world. They help people develop techniques to control more daily outcomes, command more respect, create deep connections, and develop a conversation with anyone.
Some people, entrepreneurs in particular, don’t think developing soft skills is a good investment of their time.... But almost every extraordinary guest we’ve spoken to on this show has succeeded through their ability to form relationships and connect with people.
It’s easy to ignore soft skill development and, instead, learn a new technical skill or marketing strategy because you can easily quantify those results – and it’s really easy for an entrepreneur to convince themselves that they don’t need to sell, because their sales funnel does it for them – but it’s a limiting mindset that will hold you back in business, and in all of your relationships.
Psychology, Persuasion, and Influence are the New Hunting
Since pre-history, homosapiens have thrived through socialization and tribes. These soft skills aren’t just a post-modern luxury – they are also critical to the rise and success of our species.
Now that we live in a world of relative abundance, “this is such a basic part of your human identity that, if it’s not together, you will have problems in other areas of your life.”
If you think your social skills are awesome already, studying it further only puts you at an advantage over every other human in the entire world.
If you want to systematically attack personal growth and develop your social skills, head over to theartofcharm.com/challenge to start your own 30-day challenge.
- Connect with Jordan: TheArtofCharm.com | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
- Listen to The Art of Charm podcast
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harar