SFN214: What You Can Learn from Gary Keller, Jay Papasan, & The ONE Thing
Do you ever wonder if you’ll find fulfillment?
Today’s guest, Geoff Woods, understands that feeling… but mentorship helped him break through the achievement ceiling.
Geoff went on a wild journey after joining The Foundation. In one year, he went from employee to building a six-figure business to partnering with Gary Keller and Jay Papasan, authors of The ONE Thing.
Geoff is now VP of The ONE Thing, the company behind the best-selling book. He shares how connecting with people helped him get there, and the incredible transformation he’s undergone as Jay and Gary’s mentee.
In This Interview I Ask:
- 4:30 - How did Geoff come up with the idea for The Mentee and where did it go?
- 7:00 - What was the first course that Geoff launched, and how did he go about launching it?
- 9:45 - I love the simplicity with which Gary Keller and Jay Papasan preach about business. How has being mentored by them impacted Geoff?
- 12:12 - Geoff had to generate $100k in revenue in 90 days. How did he do it?
- 16:30 - The big misconception around The ONE Thing.
- 20:50 - Surrendering everything to your guru and the three commitments.
- 23:10 - I’m really inspired by how much Geoff has shifted with these teachings. It has massively shifted his life.
- 26:15 - Does Geoff want to scale this into a billion-dollar company? What’s his vision?
Becoming ‘The Mentee’
“You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” –Jim Rohn
During Geoff’s time in The Foundation, Dane told him that our goal isn’t to help people build great SaaS businesses – our goal is to create extraordinary entrepreneurs.
Geoff stopped trying to build a SaaS business and did something more aligned with his interests and skillset. He decided to launch The Mentee podcast, a vehicle for connecting with people and, eventually, building a six-figure business.
Idea Extraction & Pre-Selling as a Podcast Host
Geoff never stopped using the principles of The Foundation. As the host of The Mentee, he invited his listeners to give him a call – and he listened.
He asked about their pain, and ultimately discovered that his listeners were struggling to find mentors. They wanted to surround themselves with aspirational people, but they didn’t know how.
Geoff leveraged this information to, ultimately, pre-sell a course, coaching, a membership product, and a mastermind.
The Mentorship of Gary Keller & Jay Papasan
Gary Keller and Jay Papasan think on a different level than other people. Gary is a master of systems, and he built the largest real estate empire in the world.
Thinking on a different level, in large part, means thinking bigger and understanding priorities.
You have to cast a huge vision, then narrow your focus onto something ridiculously small. You can’t make meaningful progress in anything by focusing on many areas of your life, simultaneously.
The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results
If you could create something, with no resistance, what would that thing look like? Give yourself permission to think big, and don’t let any limiting beliefs about money or time affect your vision. You can use The ONE Thing’s free 7 Circles resource to outline your ONE thing.
That’s your big goal. What do you need to accomplish in the next five years to be on track for achieving your ONE thing?
What do you need to accomplish this year to be on track for your five-year goal?
What do you need to accomplish this month to be on track for the year?
What do you need to accomplish this week to be on track for the month?
Laying that plan out is called a 4-1-1, and you download your own at the1thing.com/411.
Of Course, There’s More...
After you lay everything out, you’re not magically done.
You have to commit to the road to mastery, be more purposeful in everything you choose to do, and live the accountability cycle.
Head over to the1thing.com/resources for more free resources that will help you set goals, create habits, be more productive, and find accountability.
- Learn more at the1thing.com
- Listen to The ONE Thing podcast
- Pick up your own copy of The ONE Thing by Gary Keller & Jay Papasan