SFN182: Why your brain is a bulls**t machine, and what you can do about it
We all know what it feels like to be economically vulnerable.
Everyone struggles with their relationship to money and we’ve all laid awake at night worrying. Clay Collins, CEO and CoFounder of Leadpages, knows what that feels like – so he empowers people with some of the best marketing tools online.
Leadpages helps entrepreneurs reduce friction by creating done-for-you models for economic value creation, business growth and income. You know the templates work because Clay uses many of them to grow Leadpages.
Clay also generated revenue in their first year as a bootstrapped startup by developing a one-to-many direct sales marketing system that cuts down on costs without cutting down on value.
In This Interview I Ask:
- 5:00 - Tell us a little bit about the Clay Collins story.
- 9:30 - When did you feel yourself evolve?
- 14:30 - What about the idea of designing software that requires behavior change?
- 18:15 - Where did the idea for Leadpages begin?
- 29:05 - Leadpages made $40k during their first pre-sale and generated $2.1M in year one. Walk us through how that happened.
- 40:30 - Looking back, is there anything Clay would do differently?
The First Product Launch & One-To-Many Direct Sales Marketing
“It solved a lot of problems for a lot of people.”
It can take hours to create a good sales page from scratch or even with WordPress, and even the best WordPress plugin isn’t the best user experience. Leadpages’ first product helped entrepreneurs create a working page in just minutes – they made $40k from the pre-sale and ended up with $2.5M in year one.
In the first year, Leadpages was bootstrapped and needed cash flow. Their main source of cash was a heavily-discounted yearly subscription, but they couldn’t afford to pay thousands of dollars to acquire new customers.
Clay started releasing weekly videos highlighting how to use different page templates. He offered the HTML for free, but viewers could use the template even more easily and in just four clicks by signing up for Leadpages.
This system became the basis for the One-To-Many Direct Sales Marketing system that helped Leadpages generate income without generating a high customer acquisition cost.
Be Obsessed With Value
“I love empowering people with tools.”
There are three stages of value delivery to the market.
- Stage 1 – What’s the main outcome that a customer is looking for?
- For Leadpages the answer is simple: people want marketing tools to make more money.
- Stage 2 – What is the most efficient way to deliver value to a customer?
- “DFY is greater than DIY. Done for You is better than Do It Yourself.”
- Stage 3 – Calibration
- Listen to your customers and adjust the product so that it continues to offer the most value possible.